Staten Island Branch #2227 NAACP
NOTICE OF SCHOLARSHIP
Harry Lee Collin s , Sr. M e m o rial Sc h o la rs h ip Aw ard Sp o n s o re d b y th e Staten
Is lan d B ranc h NAACP
Harry Lee Collins, Sr., experienced first hand the financial hardship of trying to attend college on a limited budget. Therefore, upon his death, a large donation was made to the Staten Island Branch NAACP for the purpose of helping to defray the college expenses of African American students admitted to college.
Criteria for Harry Lee Collins, Sr. Memorial Scholarship Award:
$500 scholarships presented to two deserving high school students.
1. A Staten Island resident of African-American heritage
2. A prospective June or August high school graduate (Transcript from school
3. An acceptance letter as a first term matriculating freshman from an accredited
college or university (acceptance letter required).
4. Of good character. One letter of reference from non-family member required.
5. Have demonstrated a commitment to the tenets and principles of the NAACP
through community activities.
6. Have demonstrated significant academic improvement during your high
Application Deadline is Monday June 1 2009
Application should be mailed or delivered to the Law Office of Duane C. Felton, at 805
Castleton Avenue, Staten Island, New York 10310. 718-273-9600
2009 HARRY LEE COLLINS, SR.
MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
first middle initial last
number and street zip code
Date of birth Telephone
Names of parents
Expected date of graduation
College you will attend
(please attach a copy of your notification of acceptance and two letters of reference)
The following documentation must accompany your application:
1. High School activities and achievements
2. Community activities and achievements (church, clubs, organizations, awards, etc.)
4. Employment history:
5. Submit a 250 word essay on the history of the NAACP in the Civil Rights movement.
6. Provide a copy of your high school transcript with your application.
7. Mail your application and accompanying documents to Duane C. Felton at 805 Castleton
Avenue, Staten Island New York 10310
The deadline for applications is Monday, June 1