Staten Island Branch #2227 NAACP
NOTICE OF SCHOLARSHIP
George Felton, Jr. Memorial Scholarship Award Sponsored by the Staten
Island Branch NAACP
George Felton, Jr. was a New York City Fireman and Fire Marshall. He served two terms as president of the Staten Island Branch NAACP. Under his leadership the branch fought housing discrimination and job discrimination on Staten Island. A $500 scholarship presented to one deserving African American high school student in his name.
Criteria for George Felton, Jr. Memorial Scholarship Award:
1. Be an African-American resident of Staten Island.
2. Be an active member of an NAACP Youth Council.
3. Be a prospective June or August high school graduate (transcript required).
4. Have an acceptance from an accredited college or university(acceptance letter
5. Be of good character
6. Have demonstrated commitment to the goals of the NAACP through involvement
in a community not- for- profit organization.
7. Submit a 250 word essay on the NAACP history in the civil rights movement.
Application deadline June 1, 2009
Applications are to be mailed or delivered to the Law office of Duane C. Felton at 805 Castleton Avenue, Staten Island, N.Y. 718-273-9600
2009 GEORGE FELTON Jr.
MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
first middle initial last
number and street
Date of birth Telephone
Parent or Guardian
High School attending
Date of graduation______________
College you will attend
(please attach a copy of your notification of acceptance and two letters of reference)
On a separate document, typed and double spaces set forth the following:
1. High School activities and achievements
2. Community activities and achievements (church, clubs, organizations, awards, etc.)
4. Employment history
5. Essay : 250 essay on the history of the NAACP in the Civil Rights movement.
6. High School transcript.
7. Mail your application and accompanying documents to Duane C. Felton at 805 Castleton
Avenue, Staten Island New York 10310
The deadline for applications is June 1, 2009!