Thursday, January 28, 2010
The Star Jam event will be held at I.S.49 101 Warren St, Staten Island NY 10304 March 26, 2010 from 6 pm to 9 pm
The auditions will be on February 24 and February 25, 2010, from 4:30 pm to 7 pm. Interested students are to prepare a 3 minute piece and must supply their own music. Applications must be signed by a parent and this event is only open to students who attend Staten Island Schools. Qualifying age range is 12 year olds to 18 year olds only! Also the student must provide a passport type photo attached to the application. Volunteers are needed and credit is given toward community service hours. Please contact Detective Santana-Rivera, Staten Island Borough Liaison, Community Affairs Bureau at:
305 Front Street, 2nd Floor
Staten Island, NY 10301
718 420 3563 office
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
3rd Annual New York City DimensionM Mega Bowl, hosted by the Dept. of eLearning Services, is just around the corner.
The tournament’s pre-qualification gaming round runs from
February 1, 2010 to February 28, 2010.
Go online and play today!
Click here to see the Dimension M Mega Bowl in action and to get the tournament guidelines and details.
You may request a copy of the new game by contacting Elissa Seto at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is a fabulous opportunity open to STUDENTS, ARCHITECTS, NON-ARCHITECTS, GROUPS & INDIVIDUALS!
Registration Deadline: February 8, 2010
Click here to get the full details about the competition.
FIGMENT, one of Governors Island’s key cultural partners, has joined forces with The Emerging New York Architects Committee (ENYA) of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) New York Chapter and the Structural Engineers Association of New York (SEAoNY) to sponsor a competition to design and construct an architectural pavilion for the 2010 summer season on Governors Island, the City of Dreams Pavilion.
Essential requirements of the proposal are as follows:
- Create a gathering place for 50 or more people, providing shade and rain cover
- Consider the full lifecycle of the materials used—where they come from and where they will go after the island closes for the 2010 season
- Provide for the design and construction of the project, including sourcing all materials
- All materials must be able to be transported on the Coursen Ferry (12’6” clearance)
- The structure must be freestanding, and cannot penetrate the ground to a depth greater than 6”
- The design must be approved by the Governors Island Preservation and Education Corporation (GIPEC), the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC), and the NYC Department of Buildings prior to construction
- Include a budget that anticipates all costs of fabrication, transportation, installation, and de-installation
- How will the pavilion support educating the public about arts programs on the island?
- How will the pavilion support informal performances or lectures?
- What other kinds of activities could take place in the pavilion?
- Submissions open: January 1, 2010
- Registration deadline: February 8, 2010
- Deadline for entries: February 16, 2010
- Notification of finalists, with comments: March 1, 2010
- Finalist proposal revisions due: March 31, 2010
- Selection of winner: April 15, 2010
- Construction start: May 10, 2010
- Construction completion: by June 5, 2010
Selection criteria that the jury will consider:
- Proposal feasibility and buildability
- Lifecycle considerations and overall environmental impact
- Adherence to theme
- Design impact
- Innovative use of materials
GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!!
Friday, January 22, 2010
Attention High School Seniors
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
DASH+ challenges high school teams to use their creativity, science, technology, engineering, and math skills to design, describe, and pitch the next generation of automotive dashboards.
As part of the Progressive Automotive X PRIZE Education Program, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy, the DASH+ contest rewards the winning team whose eco-dashboard concept best incorporates feedback mechanisms and supports behavior change to help drivers maximize fuel efficiency and reduce environmental impact.
Click here to find out about DASH+ competition.
Tuesday, January 12, 2010