Friday, July 24, 2009
STRIVE has been a recognized leader in securing jobs for the chronically unemployed for over 24 years. We currently operate one of the most comprehensive Green Construction Training programs for the hard-to-employ in New York City. Our most ambitious construction training opportunity – our third cohort this year – begins on August 7th 2009 with a newly added solar / photo voltaic installation training module.
STRIVE’s Green Construction Training Program includes the following 10 components:
1. CORE+ (Soft-Skills, Career Development, Job Readiness, Computers, Customer Service, Civics) (120 hours)
2. Intro Green Building Efficiency (10 hours)
3. Basic Construction: Electrical (45 hours)
4. Basic Construction: Carpentry (45 hours)
5. Basic Construction: Plumbing (45 hours)
6. OSHA Construction Health/Safety (10 hours)
7. HAZWOPER - Hazardous Waste (40 hours)
8. OSHA - Confined Space (16 hours)
9. Asbestos Abatement (32 hours)
10. Weatherization: Building Retro-fits, Energy Audits, Air Leak Testing, Insulation (80 hours)
11. Solar / Photo Voltaic Installation (40 hours)
The program is 14 weeks in length and is for both men and women. Participants must have a strong desire to work in the construction industry and be physically fit (see below). Carfare will be provided for the entire 14 weeks and a modest stipend will be paid during the hard skills portion of the program (the last 10 weeks). All participants must complete the month long CORE+ component in order to be eligible for construction training.
In addition, applicants must:
1. Be between the ages of 18 and 35.
2. Have no physical barriers to working in the construction industry (and be able to lift at least 50 lbs.).
3. Achieve a 6th grade reading and 6th grade math level on the TABE Survey (testing will take place at STRIVE).
4. Be carefully assessed and interviewed by STRIVE staff before being accepted in the program.
Check out: STRIVE at 240 E. 123rd St. / 3rd Fl. (Manhattan)
Monday through Friday between 9am and 4pm – or call (212) 360-1100 and ask for Emmanuel, Alonzo, or Katherine.
See NY1 segment on STRIVE’s Green Construction Training Program: http://www.ny1.com/Default.aspx?ArID=102558
Angelo J. Rivera
Chief Operating Officer
STRIVE New York
240 E. 123 St. / 3 Fl.
New York, NY 10035
Work: 646) 335-0814
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Attached is a neat opportunity for students who are 18 years of age and older. Click here to see the opportunity by Brooklyn Workforce Innovations and Sunset Park Alliance for Youth.